As previously advised, Sunshine Classics (online) will no longer be available from 31 December 2023. Many of the titles are available in our Sunshine Online digital library and all New Zealand schools can apply for a free grant to access Sunshine Online. To apply, please click link below. Thank you for using Sunshine Classics. We hope we can continue to support you in your literacy teaching via Sunshine Online.
The Sunshine Classics digital program features titles that are tried and tested! These books have been used for many years to teach children all around the world to read and to develop a love of reading. The continuing success of this series is due to:
• Storylines that appeal to students and include humour and lovable characters
• Books written by renowned children’s authors such as Joy Cowley, Jill Eggleton and Margaret Mahy
• Carefully levelled texts with gradual introduction of new vocabulary
• The right balance of support and challenge needed for beginning readers
The Classics e-books include a range of special features that make them perfect for use on iPads, interactive whiteboards and classroom computers.
• Text highlighting – word by word at emergent levels and then sentence by sentence (up to level 25)
• Audio support – students can choose to have the text read to them and can also hear individual words or sentences (up to level 25)
• Texts covering reading levels 1 to 30
• High-frequency words focus for each text
• Text annotation tools such as highlighter and text boxes
Each e-book is followed by three interactive activities that explore phonics and words, comprehension, fluency and writing.
• Phonics and Words: Activities include learning about the letters of the alphabet, letter blends, word families, rhyming words and high-frequency words.
• Comprehension: Activities include matching words or sentences to pictures, sentence building, story sequencing, cloze and quizzes.
• Fluency: Students can record themselves reading the text and play this back.
• Writing: Students respond to their reading in a variety of creative ways through writing.